Monday, April 6, 2009

Back to the Real World

Here’s the sailing part. Once again we return from a magical couple of days being blown about by the wind. Sailing is one of those sports you really really love or really really hate. Of course the reallys always depend on the wind. Before I met my sailor husband I had only been once. During that first experience I remember thinking…..this is where I belong. What’s funny is we didn’t even have decent wind on my first sail. My second time sailing however was quite different and even better. It was right about this time of year. In Oklahoma (unless it’s July & August) we never have to wish for wind. This Saturday was no exception. OK….I’m going to start throwing out some sailing terms…..the wind was gusting about 35 knots so we tucked two reefs in the main and only had about 30% of the jib out. Then we spent the day on the tilt. For those unfamiliar with sailing that means the boat is heeled over with the force of the wind in the sails (shown in this blog’s picture). If one doesn’t understand the physics of the boat one might think they are in the process of meeting their end. But, not to worry, the 3,000 pound keel underneath the boat prevents such an occurrence. We endearingly refer to this experience as life on the tilt. The degree of tilt is directly proportional to whether or not one is making an attempt to utilize the head (that’s bathroom for all the land lubbers). The surprise treat for most people new to sailing is the missing sound of the boat engine. It opens up beautiful opportunities to listen to music, talk or just feel the power of the wind. Still the best part of sailing for me is what it teaches. Not only us, but our children learn to trust. Trust the boat; trust the sails and even ourselves. Mostly, I’ve learned to let go and let the wind and boat do their job. This lesson spills over into the rest of my life. I read a quote once that said….”if you want to make God laugh tell him your plans for the day”. Truly all we control is how much we are finally willing to trust God. Looking back in my life the times I thought I was really in charge were the times that everything fell apart around me. When all my futile efforts to fix my life and everyone in it failed miserably all I had left to do was fall on my face and cry out for mercy. I foolishly thought…”well, I may as well give it to God….it can’t get any worse.” What I didn’t expect was how the simple act of trusting changed everything. Now my life is fuller than my wildest dreams. I’ve learned if I’m willing to wait on God and trust what he has planned for me it’s better than anything I can ever come up with. Blended families face challenges as unique as each individual involved. The only way to overcome the challenges and remain strong is time & togetherness. God blessed our instant blended family with sailing so we would bond. While we’re under way on our journey there’s no TV, only music, books and each other. Sailing.....what an awesome blessing…..so simple and so perfect; just like God’s plan for us. The hardest part of sailing is coming back to the dock, tying up our vessel, closing the hatches and going “back to the real world”. But, not so with our faith, the Lord’s presence keeps our souls full and our course true as long as we are willing to trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment